The shift toward sustainable shopping practices is evident in the growing popularity of reusable grocery bags. The global shopping bag market is on track to hit a revenue of $17.66 billion by 2028, with the reusable bag segment poised to grow at a consistent 9% annually between 2022 and 2028.
Further underscoring this trend, there’s been a notable 3% increase in the number of consumers adopting reusable bags over the past year.
Let me share the most crucial reusable grocery bag statistics you should be aware of right away. 🛍️♻️.
Reusable Grocery Bag Statistics: The Key Data
- One reusable bag can replace 500 single-use plastic bags in a year.
- 75% of Americans would be likely to use reusable shopping bags if stores gave them a discount for doing so.
- 84% of consumers reused plastic shopping bags for other purposes, such as trash can liners or packing materials.
- The majority of shoppers reuse grocery store bags (67%), followed by department stores (47%).
- Cost considerations would deter 41% of consumers from using the reusable bags if they became overly expensive.
- 43% of consumers always or usually buy reusable bags, an increase from 40% the previous year.
- 57% of frequent grocery shoppers who choose reusable bags keep them in the car.
- To be truly environmentally friendly, a cotton bag should be used at least 7,100 times.
- 73% of consumers own custom reusable bags.